Welcome to Family Programming at First Unitarian Church of Cincinnati!
If you are new to First Church, I want to extend an extra special welcome. Family and Children’s Programming at First Church, what some other congregations might refer to as Religious Education, is markedly different from what you’ll find at some other UU congregations because our focus is on the family, not just the child. We understand your life is busy. We understand that, at times, you feel overburdened with the work of raising a family. But, we also understand that you are your child’s greatest teacher. While we might have only 40 hours in a given year to influence your child, you, as their parent, have over 3,000 hours. Therefore, we are committed to partnering with you, to offer programming that not only fits into your busy schedule but that eases your burden as well.
If you would like to learn more about Family Programming's philosophy and policies, make sure to check out our overview. To learn more about our programming, including your child's curriculum for the year, be sure to take a look at our prospectus. Below, you will find a description of what your child will be learning, and doing, this coming Sunday, as well as a list of upcoming events and opportunities.
- Meredith Plummer, Director of Family Programming
This Sunday, March 24th
- PreK - K: Differences - Today, your preschooler and kindergartner will celebrate their differences.
- 1st - 3rd Grade: Henry David Thoreau - ·Today, the class will learn about Unitarian Henry David Thoreau. Thoreau believed in living a simple life. He also believed in getting closer to nature. Today, your child will learn that Unitarian Universalists believe in "respect for the web of life." And, they will spend their morning playing a simple game on our playground. Please make sure your child is dressed for the weather.
- 4th - 5th Grade: Africa - ·Today, the class will learn about a few African traditions from various African religions. They will learn about the significant of African masks, and play the African game Oware.
- Jr. High: Attend the Service - Today, your Jr. High youth will attend the service.
- Sr. High: Ethics - Today, the Sr. High youth will explore balance and ethics in everyday life.
Upcoming OpportunitiesSummer Camp Announcement
Learn to be a pirate, hard as a callous,
Inspire in others fear and malice.
But be not mean,
Work as a team,
Then you will find the Crystal Chalice.
Members are eligible for the following scholarships:
- Volunteer for before or after care twice, get $20 off.
- Volunteer for before or after care 3 times, get $35 off.
- Volunteer for before or after care 4 times, get $50 off.
- Volunteer to be a camp counselor, your children can attend for free.